5.05.2008

Remembering Paul.........


April 11, 1975- May 5th 2003

What I remember about Paul..............

Whenever I think of Paul as a little boy I think of this book. At age two, he could read it all by himself. I remember when people came over I would say "My little brother can read this all by himself." I was a proud big sister.




This is the perfect picture that describes Paul's smile. I remember him being the cutest little boy with perfect blond hair, a darling face and a contagious smile. That is how he got his nickname Smiley. Later, it would be Pollywog and pal. Our Aunts still call him that today.



As you can see from this picture I am touching Paul's cheeks and have a big smile on my face while doing it. This is where it all started and if you know me, you know I haven't stopped. Paul was so dang cute and had the perfect cheeks to pinch.I got so use to touching Paul's cheeks that I drove him crazy. But I do have to say Paul and I always got along. I never remembering fighting with Paul. Maybe that is what we all say.



Anyone that knew Paul as a little boy remembers this I am sure. Paul had a imaginary friend. His name was Barney. He had full on conversations with Barney everyday. It was the cutest thing hearing him talk and play with Barney. He had the cuttest little voice.


Paul loved the car Monte Carlo. He would say it so cute and funny. We would say "Paul, say Monte Carlo." We would just laugh and laugh and ask him to say it again.



Paul loved to pretend. He was always dressing up. He had a red superman cape. When he played Zorro, he and Ryan would dress up and have matching swords that our grandpa Wilcox made them. I can still picture Paul and Ryan sword fighting on my grandparents drive-way. Now I know where my boys get it from.




This was Paul's favorite toy. Yes, a real steering wheel. He loved playing truck driver or pilot. I remember getting off the airplane and watching Paul run through the airport steering.

Paul was wonderful brother to all of us. Thoughtful and caring. Ryan and Paul were the best of buds. I remember when they would wear these matching shirts. They would play for hours. Wild and crazy. Lucky us to have him as our brother.


Paul absolutely loved the t.v. show The A Team. I remember Paul knowing all the cast members and telling me all about George Perppard. I don't remember Paul getting that upset about things BUT when it came to A Team he did. One night he got so upset that he couldn't watch it, he cried himself to sleep.


I remember Paul saying he wanted to be the President of the United States someday. It never sounded too big to be true or funny. Heck, he loved reading Time Magazine as a young boy. The encyclopedia too.



The summer of 1985, Paul and I went and stayed with my grandma Wright's for a week. The Oliver North trials were on t.v. all day. Paul watched them all day. I am not kidding. Did he have to NO. Did I want to NO. Did I mention he was only 10 years old. He loved politics and knew so much about it for such a little kid. So, when he would say he wanted to be President, I was never surprised.

RUSH STREET PIZZA - In the summer of 1990, Paul and I went and lived with our Aunt Kathy and Uncle David in Redmond, Washington. . We worked at their pizza store that just opened. Paul and I basically hung out 24/7 for 3 months. I loved every minute of it. We worked everyday 3-10 pm but Sunday, so, we had a lot of time to talk and hang out. Toward the end of our stay Paul would walk down to the convenient store to buy a frozen yogurt almost every day. It was funny to me back then. I would rent movies for us to watch that night. We would stay up real late and sleep in real late. We took long walks on our evenings off. I remember we went and saw Ghost and driving him to his tennis lessons. He dressed up as a Ninja Turtle for the Pizza store. Unfortunately that meant wearing green tights. He was a good sport about it. Wish I had a picture of that. He also would do a great imitation of Jesse Jackson. Our co-workers and I would just laugh and ask him to do it again and again. Great times, great memories.

Whenever I think of Paul as a young adult, I always picture him in his Dr. Martins, this blue plaid shirt and a brown belt. He only owned 1 pair of Dr. Martins. He had them for years. I remember shopping with Paul and my mom. She tried to buy him a new pair. He wouldn't let her. He said his old ones were fine.


Paul loved food. He loved to go out to nice restaurants. He wasn't cheap when it came to food either. When he went out to eat he loved to get appetizers, specialty drinks and desserts. Since his death, we celebrate his birthday by going out to eat and getting yummy appetizers, drinks and desserts. It reminds us so much of Paul.





I was so lucky to be living by Paul for his birthday's while we were both in college. For his 19th birthday I took him to Magleby's restaurant. I remember we didn't have a car so we met at a bank and walked to Magelbys together. I remember he got a really expensive fillet Mignon and we ordered specialty drinks and apple pie. This is one of my favorite memories with Paul. For his 22nd birthday, Greg and I took him to a fun restaurant and then to the old theatres in Provo to see Return of the Jedi. I love that I could spend these b-days with him.


The GQ look

Paul made me laugh. He had a great sense of humor.
I always enjoyed being around him. He was easy to talk to.

Paul was a tease.

In my Emma's little world, Paul was the "tickle monster." He would always tickle and tease her. She loved it. I am sooooo thankful Emma knew Paul and remembers him.




Paul is one of the most spiritual people I know. He loved the gospel and lived it to the fullest every single day. Anyone that knew Paul would say the same thing.



I remember when Paul brought Sarah home for the first time. I remember thinking she is wonderful and perfect for Paul. She was darling, sweet and so graceful. We had a great time with her. We went to the beach and had a big beach party. Sarah was even brave enough to do the waves with the Wright kids. Our Grandpa Wilcox came. It was important for him to meet Sarah.This was the last time I saw my grandpa Wilcox before he died.


I remember Paul and Sarah's wedding and reception. They looked so happy. The reception was beautiful. I remember when they danced and when Emma and Sarah's nieces danced and danced all around. It was a beautiful night.

I remember the last time I talked to Paul. It was 2 weeks after his 27th birthday. 1 week before he died. We talked for almost 2 hours. I kept telling myself that I needed to call him for his birthday. I am so glad I did when I did. I remember I was laying on my bed in our apt in Washington just talking about everything. I am so thankful for that last, personal conversation I had, just me and my brother.

Paul was and always will be a wonderful.......

husband, son, brother, uncle, friend and example to ALL OF US.


I MISS YOU PAUL!!!

5 comments:

Greg and Kimberly ... said...

Thank you for sharing your memories, Keri. I miss him, too. I wish I could give you a big hug right now.

Anonymous said...

There are no words. We were blessed to have Paul with us as long as we did. He brought us Sarah too. So thankful for her. Love you much! Thanks for doing this, means so much to all of us.

Sheila said...

I had forgotten about the "A" team. Many of these things brought back memories for me too. What a great tribute!

S. Gibson said...

That was beautiful Keri. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I miss him too. I am grateful for memories of him in Provo and dinners together at Aunt Janet's house.

Aunt Janet said...

Keri that was so wonderful. Oh my gosh it was all so true. You remembered it all. I laughed and cried. Thank you so much for that. It's so hard this time of year missing him but good to remember and be thankful for all the time we did had. Grateful for having Sarah in our family too. Great Job!!!