This Mothers Day I wanted to learn something new about my mom. What was her childhood like? What was she like as a teenage?. So, I emailed her some simple, fun questions. It has been so fun reading and re-reading them. I didn't realize how much my mom and I have in common. I can't wait for the next 20 questions.
1. What was your favorite movie, TV show and book as a kid and teenager?
My favorite book was the Nancy Drew Series, favorite movie was Sound of Music,
favorite TV show was watching Ed Sullivan with my family. I must add that I loved watching The Hillbillies with my mom, because I never saw her laugh as hard as she did when she watched that show. I'm sure it was because it reminded her of home.
2. What was your favorite meal your mom made you? You're least favorite? I loved my mom's cooking, she was a great cook. I always looked forward to Chicken & Dumplings ~ so much I made myself sick on them at age 5. I loved her fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy meals as a child. The least favorite was liver! Yuck, to this day I will not eat it.
2. What was your favorite meal your mom made you? You're least favorite? I loved my mom's cooking, she was a great cook. I always looked forward to Chicken & Dumplings ~ so much I made myself sick on them at age 5. I loved her fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy meals as a child. The least favorite was liver! Yuck, to this day I will not eat it.
3. What did you want to be when you grew up???? At one time an airplane stewardess (that's what they were called when I was in H.S.) and a teacher
4. What is your most memorable family vacation? Our trip around the U.S. summer of 1964.
5. What is your favorite Christmas memory? Always the best were spent in Montpelier, Idaho with Grandma Wilcox and all my aunts, uncles, cousins. I remember one Christmas particularly when I was about 14. I remember playing Clue all day and Mrs. Scarlet was the murderer 13 games out of 16. We got spooked and quit playing. We went sled ridding several times while there,had a Wilcox family gathering at a park close by, ate under a gazebo with a huge fire in the fire pit to keep us all warm. We also, visited a hot springs with all my cousins on another day. Great times.
6. What were you good at as a child and teenager? Hard to say. 1. I remember taking care of my younger brothers and sisters all the time. Then I began tending other people's children at an early age, like 10 or 11. I tended Aunt Frances' children after they moved by us. I earned a lot of money babysitting. 2. I was pretty good in my art classes. Funny, but I received a pair of skates for first place award for a painting in the first grade at a school assembly. The painting was exhibited at some fair. Scary it was 1st grade. But, I remember it was a big deal at the time. Funny how you look back and realize, it was just the whole school sitting in the quad of the elementary school, but at the time it seemed like so many people, and I had to walk up in front of everyone to receive the award, with my mom there to surprise me. I continued on through grade school to win awards for my art projects. I had a poem called, "If I Could Hear What Lincoln Hears" in the fifth grade that was published in the newspaper. I thought that was a big deal at the time. #3. Which I'm sure you are not surprised, I knew how to clean and organize. I would clean house for my mom while she sewed our dresses. That was an agreement we had made together. I would clean houses for sisters in our ward as I got older. Scary. I don't really think I was that great at anything, but I did like to participate in lots of different things. I liked to sing in choirs. I played the piano. I enjoyed my debating classes and won competitions etc.
7. How would someone describe your personality as a kid and teenager? Ask Kathy, Janet, Annette, I have no idea...people told me I was responsible, a leader, probably a bit serious in certain areas. Loved to have fun though,loved to pretend, but always had a sense that purpose and commitment was important. Particular, detailed.Liked to help people.
7. How would someone describe your personality as a kid and teenager? Ask Kathy, Janet, Annette, I have no idea...people told me I was responsible, a leader, probably a bit serious in certain areas. Loved to have fun though,loved to pretend, but always had a sense that purpose and commitment was important. Particular, detailed.Liked to help people.
8. What was your first job? Did you like it? My first job was babysitting. Yes, I enjoyed it. I felt a sense of responsibility, and I had a sense of doing my best. I would make projects for the children I tended, so they would have something fun to do while I was watching them.But, my first real job was working at an ice cream parlor called Brookdale.I loved it. I worked with Chris Anderson. I loved making malts, banana splits, etc. for people. I had a good time with those that worked there.My next big job was working for Fullerton Recreation in the summer. I was a youth leader at Adeline Park. It was great. I grew close to the children.We had art project, swimming, then a special trip once a week to places like Catalina, Disneyland, etc. The best of the best jobs.
9. What was something you were scared of growing up? Catching Rabies
10. What were your pet peeves growing up? People that copied me.
11. What did you love about your mom? Mom was creative so lots of different happening were going on all the time. Looking back I realize even more how good she was at keeping our home organized, clean, but something was always going on. She was cooking a meal for someone, so we had to run it over to the neighbors, or we were watching some one's children, or we had to clean some one's house etc. She was crocheting, sewing, making dolls, redoing a room in the house etc. I also loved to go shopping with her. Another thing we did a lot was visit model homes...often. She saw that we dressed well.Mom was a great seamstress. Also, her singing, I loved to listen to her sing. In the car her and dad sang together, one of my fondest memories. I always knew my mom loved me and wanted the very best for me. She allowed me to be who I was.
12. What did you love about your dad? I always felt safe, secure with my dad.I was his little girl. He looked out for me. He always was thinking up experiences for me to participate in so I could grow, appreciate; understand what was important in life. He was always there for me.
13. What was it like sharing a room with 4 girls? Looking back, fun. At the time I'm sure I wanted my own room as I grew older. But, I have fond memories of talking in bed, telling stories, being sick together,pretending, pretending, pretending. We were so good at that.
14. Where you excited to go to college or where you scared? I dreamed of it,couldn't wait for it. Didn't get scared until the drive up...
15. Who was your first date? Where did you go? I had a date with my brother's good friend. He was a Senior, Steve Modoset. We went to the stage play,Camelot. We double dated with my brother.
16. What hobbies did you enjoy doing? Cooking, making cards, drawing, painting,
17. What was your favorite outfit you had in high school? (Now remember in those days, you wore dresses, skirt/blouses to school.) I had wool, black and white plaid, double breasted dress that I loved.
17. What was your favorite outfit you had in high school? (Now remember in those days, you wore dresses, skirt/blouses to school.) I had wool, black and white plaid, double breasted dress that I loved.
18.. What was something you wanted really bad as a teenager but didn’t get? I honestly can't think of any thing. I usually got what I wanted for my birthday or Christmas. Oh, ya I know, I wanted my own room. When my brother got his room redecorated, I cried and cried. I wanted to decorate my own room, which I finally got; I think when Richard went on his mission.
19. What do you remember most about your grandma Katie? I remember her telling me to be patient when I was fussing about always having to wait for my parents in the car after church. I remember her praising me. I remember I loved going Mississippi to be with her, and got excited knowing she was coming to our house to stay. I liked how she told me things just as they are. She didn't mess with words; she just said it like it was.
20. Who was your first kiss and how old where you?? gotcha on that one.
*
What I remember about my mom during my first 18 years of my life.....
*When I was in 6th grade, my mom and I would stay up late and watch Remington Steel.
*My mom would play clue with me for hours
*The night before I started 5th and 6th grade I sat on the family room floor while my mom practiced doing french braides in my hair with a squirt bottle.
*I came home from school to a clean house and clean bedroom.
*When we would get home from school there would be an after school snack waiting for us. Like popcorn or carrots in water. My mom was a health freak.
*She liked to make candy letters for my dad.
*In 4th grade she took me to see "African Queen." I can still picture it.
*My favorite dinner she made was Chicken and Rice in a sauce.
*She made my baptism dress.
*She would go running a lot. She was in shape. In Saudi Arabia she ran a race in red shorts. We all cheered for her at the finsh line.
*For my 8th birthday, she made me a cake that said "What's great, Keri's eight.
*She would let me make cookies and brownies with her.
*She introduced to The Sound of Music and My fair lady soundtracks. I loved them. Anne Murray too. Sound of music is still my favorite movie today.
*She never got mad at me in front of my friends. Believe me there were many times I deserved it.
*I remeber hearing the vacuum at 2:00 am before a trip or company came.
*Many Sunday evenings she would make us scones or waffles
*In our snack lunches she would leave notes on the napkin. One time with Valentine hearts.
*Sometimes she would let me stay up later than my siblings. I loved it. I was a night owl.
*She read me my first Box Car Children. I LOVED it. It is my favorite chapter book of all time.
*In 4th grade she would lay by me at night and TRY to help me fall asleep by telling me to relax and pretend my body was made of sand.
*She showed me my first suspense movie "Rebecca". I still remember sitting on the floor at my grandma Wilcox's house scared and loving it.
*She made me a dress in 7th grade. It took her days. I was a brat about it.
*In 9th grade she took me and my friend to the store at midnight to get a movie.She also made us brownies that night. It was way late.
*She took me to 5 malls to find a prom dress. One took 1.5 hours to get there. I ended up getting it made.
*She stayed up till 2:00 am helping me with term papers. Not just once.
*She always made a nice Valentines Day dinner for us. I remember heart doilies with our names on them.
*I loved when she would come in and turn my alarm off in the early morning and tell me to just sleep. I still can remember that feeling of relief.
*In 9th grade she let me stay home from school and took me shopping and bought me an outfit at Millers Outpost . Some how she knew I was having a hard time and knew how to cheer me up.
*She gave me surprise birthday parties for my 16th and 18th birthday.
*She gave me surprise birthday parties for my 16th and 18th birthday.
*She always would tell me "If you are ever in a bad situation and need to get out of it, use me as your excuse."
*She would bring me dinner when I would babysit.
*Last but not least... In 2nd grade I asked her if I could wear a skirt of hers to school. It was a wrap around from Egypt. She said no. I snuck it and wore it to school. I put it on over my shorts on the bus. I still remember what it looked like. I wore a red shirt with it. It didnt even match. My teacher asked me if that was my skirt. I was surprised she asked that. DAH.
Happy Mother's Day Mom. I love you.





4 comments:
I had no idea that my comments would be posted to the world, unedited! But, oh, did I have a good laugh reading your memories. Thanks Keri. Love you much.
Keri I love this blog! you are so creative when it comes to remembering birthdays and now mothers day. I had no idea some of the answers mom gave and had so much fun reading it. what a great thing to have forever. and i loved your memories. it brought back so many memories
This is such a fun list of questions! What a great way to learn so many fun things about your mom. I am going to try to get my mom to do the same... That is such a great thing for your kids to have too. I would love to have a list of questions and answers of Grandma and Grandpa. I think that would be so interesting. Do you think we could get Grandma Wilcox to do it?
Wow... Keri, that is awesome. I never knew half of those things about Mom. I love your view of her, some things were different with us younger kids. It was so good to see your view.
Post a Comment