I wish I could have been a mom in the seventies. It makes me so sad everyday that I can't let my kids "just be kids." I want them to learn to lean on each other, watch out for each other and rely on each other. But no, we live in a world where mommy and daddy need to be right by their side. I am afraid what might happen if we are not. Will my kids ever experience walking to the store for an ice cream cone with their siblings, playing ditch um in the streets past dark with their friends, riding bikes for hours, getting lost, exploring, and just hanging out as kids? I am tired of worrying about what kind of plastic we are using and what kinds of vegetables and fruits I need to be buying organic. I am tired of feeling guilty that my kids are among the very few who don't have video games- I don't even want one- or that I am one of the few moms who has a cell phone for emergencies only. -My daughter reminds me of this often-I am tired of worrying if my kids are up to par in their after school sport activities. Come on, they are only 10 and under, whatever happen to play and have fun. I am tired of hours of homework and less time to play. Oh and what' up with the summers getting shorter, and the school year getting longer. I am tired of blah, blah, blah. I will stop now, but I still wish I was a mom in the 70's.
Easy Chia Seed Jam
5 days ago
7 comments:
Can only imagine what Emma will write 25 years from now concerning her worries as a mother. She won't look back on what you said she missed...she will remember all you are and all you gave for her. Love your desires though. I had my set of worries when you were 10. Love, Mom
(I deleted the Jill's comment...have no idea how Jill's name was attached to my posted comment.)
Yes. Drew & I totally feel the same. It is sad. I agree 100% about video games. And about sports. I don't want to tear my kids away from playing so that they can go go the organized sport that costs a lot.
I totally feel the same way. It makes me sad too. I love what your mom said. I really believe that is so true. I feel like i have such a tight leash around my kids all of the time. There is just so many scary things that we hear about constantly.
I loved your post, and you have such a beautiful family. I too hate that times have changed. I have such great momories of Brackon, Coby,Paige and I walking to the candy store. I cant see my girls doing that now. It's sad for sure. Hope all is well with your family. I ran into your parents down in California. It was fun to see them again. Well take care ~
Same. Like your Mom said, She had worries too. Just different. What will it be like for Emma?
Amen, sister! This is so true. The thing that I regret about how tightly we have to watch our kids is that there is so much control. I want them to have that independence that comes with roaming the neighborhood and the confidence that it builds to be able to find your way home. The furthest I'll let them go without me is just around the corner to the neighbors (two doors away) --and they think it's a special treat to be able to go alone and it makes them feel big and grown up. Poor kids these days.
Post a Comment