10.18.2007

TRADITIONS, this is a long one

When we had our little Emma, Greg and I knew it was time to start our own family traditions. Over the years we have started some. They are mostly small but mean a lot to our kids, Greg and I. Traditions have always been important to me and I hope our kids will have wonderful memories of these traditions and pass them on when they start their little families.

Christmas........Ever since Greg and I got married we have spent the Christmas holidays with our parents, family. Now what we call grandma's house. We love spending our Christmas vacation with our family. The kids wouldn't have it any other way. We have never lived close so it usually means a long road trip and sometimes a flight. But whatever it is or how ever long it takes us, it doesn't seem to matter. The kids always look forward to spending Christmas with their grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. They wouldn't have it any other way. We plan on keeping this tradition around a long, long time.



Valentines Day....... I send something valentinish in there lunches or back-packs the entire week before the Big day. From heart shaped sandwiches to heart pencils, notes...... Then on the Big Day, I make the kids (sorry, Greg leaves too early) a heart shaped pancake breakfast with beacon and yes, syrup. Something we usually don't have on the table. You would think they were at Disneyland when they realize there is syrup on the table. Then, later that day Emma and I decorate the table with lots of fun valentine decorations. (she has been helping me since the day she was 1 years old. ) Some bought but mostly homemade. We always get sparkling cider and borrow aunt Kathy's fancy glasses. I make a special dinner and dessert. Usually the kids favorite dinner and a heart shaped cake. There is always some kind of note on the door for Greg when he comes home. Sometimes we decorate heart cookies and watch a fun kid movie. This is one of my favorite holidays.



Birthdays...... Birthdays are always fun in our home. We kinda come up with different ideas every year. One thing we have started to do is take the kids out to their favorite restaurant as a family. . They get to pick. It is usually Red Robin. Don't ask me why. Then we come back and have cake and ice cream. I usually decorate in what they are into that month and when they get home from school they love to see the house decorated just for them. I started something with Emma on her 1st birthday. ( I think it started with an excuse to buy her a new outfit. ) I buy her a new outfit for her to wear to school or her party. We don't do friend parties that often but when we do, we go all out. We mostly spend our Birthdays as a family and that's how we LOVE IT.

Field Trips- gotta love those lunches- This tradition kinda came from my mom. When I was little, my mom would take me the night before my big field trip and let me pick out what I wanted for my field trip lunch.Well, 28 years later I am taking my own kids to the store the night before their big field trip and letting them pick out their special food for their field trip. Believe me, my kids really look forward to this. I think sometimes more than the field trip. If you knew what they got on a "normal day" you wouldn't be surprised why they love this SO much. We always do the tin foil around the soda for Greg. That was his field trip favorite as a kid.

FHE phantom- We call it the Family Home Evening Phantom. We make a treat, and note saying "from the FHE phantom" WE then leave it on someones doorstep, ring the door bell and run. The kids love it. We've had Dylan falling right in front of the house, yes we got caught, Emma running the opposite way from the van and Cole standing there just crying. We always love when it is FHE Phantom night.

Friday Night, oh what a night -I would have to say these are our favorite nights of the year. We get a movie, root beer floats, or popcorn, our pj's, lots of pillows, blankets and what Dylan always says "PARTY". We just watched Black Beards Ghost. The kids liked it but I loved it. It brought back memories of watching it with my dad and sibling as a kid.

Night, night- This started when Emma was a baby and has continues still to this day. We lay down with our kids every night before bed. We talk, sing, tell stories.... until they fall asleep. Sometimes it is hard when we have company or lots is going on BUT it is just something Greg and I love and need. I have learned it can all wait. This is important. This is when our children open up. This is when we really can listen and be open with each other. I am sooooo thankful for these times. I plan on doing it for as long as they want. Which i hope is a really long time.

Tell me a story when you were 6- I think this is the most commonly asked question when we put the kids to bed. They want to hear a story about us when we were little. Sometimes I don't really believe the stories Greg tell. (his 2ND grade teacher falling out the window head first ) but he swears they are all true.

Dad's out of town- Call me crazy but when Greg's out of town we kinda party. Sorry Greg. We just seem to stay up late, sleep in the same bed or couch, eat out, basically Party.- Not if the kids are in school of course- I am sure it has to do with me being a wimp and I have to have my kids by me at all times.

Emma/mom journal-Emma and I went to Target. Picked out a really cute journal and it is our journal. Around 4 times a week we answer a question from each other and then ask another question to each other. We put it on each others desk when we finish. I LOVE when I see the journal on my desk. I love to read how she replied to my question and what her next question to me is. . Some of her answers make me laugh, some cry. Hopefully we will end up with 10 journals by the time she leaves for college. Thanks Alicia for the great idea.

Girls Night out-Once a month Emma and I have a girls night out. We sometimes go out to eat, go to the mall, stay home and hang out in her room doing make overs (my favorite, there is just something about getting my hair and makeup done) and watching girl movies on our small DVD player , Parent Trap and American Girls are some of our favorite. I really look forward to this time with my little Emma.
Baptism Book- Emma is our only one who has been baptised so far but I did this for her and will do it for Dylan and Cole also. I bought a handmade book. http://www.kolo.com/shop/albums/?pl=14 I put some pictures of the day, her invitation to her baptism, program and what I love most of all, I had Emma write down her feelings of the day. Then, I had my family that was there to share that special day with us write something to Emma. Some wrote advice, how proud they were of her, how beautiful she looked , special stuff. That night when everyone left I read it. I just bawled. I am sure Emma will treasure that book forever. I sure do.

FAMILY- I think this would have to be what the kids look forward to the most. Spending time with their grandparents, aunts, uncles and most of all COUSINS. There is nothing like it. I just wish we could do it more often.


WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR FAMILY TRADITIONS???




6 comments:

Kelly said...

Keri, I'm so glad that you posted this!

I have a hard time coming up with ideas for good traditions. Most of ours just evolve along the way. Like a couple years ago, we decided that instead of a big traditional Christmas dinner (since we're so far from family) we'd make chinese food (Jared served a mission in Taiwan). I also make them jammies for Christmas, which is a ton of work at a busy time of year, but they always look forward to it. I make the girls dresses at Easter, too. The funny thing is, I'm really not very good at it.

You should post about what you did for Emma's baptism, too. I'm so glad that you shared that with me. You are such a good mom, Keri!

Anonymous said...

Keri, I'm so glad you took the time to write down some of your family's favorite times together. Your children will talk about these times through the years. These traditions will bind your family together. Dad and I are excited we can be with you this Thanksgiving...sharing traditions!
All your effort, love and giving has and will continue to make the difference in your children's lives. During difficult moments, rereading your posts will remind you of the constant devotion you gave to your family.
Love, Mom

Shannon said...

Keri your family is family. What everyone dreams their family should be like. Your parents have always been the ideal, glad to see you carrying them on.

Natalie said...

Keri, I loved reading these traditions. You are an amazing mom! I hope your arm shoulder feels better soon. Enjoy your visit with your mom!

S. Gibson said...

Keri you are an amazing mom! I loved reading your traditions and might steal a few, hope you don't mind! I loved the Valentines day one. There is nothing better than family.

Anonymous said...

Keri,
Thanks for all the pic's and fun stories. It helps to read and see all the pic's when I miss you guy so much. Even though Emma wasn't with you and the boys when you came this time I can at lease see her pic's and her blog and keep up on her crazy ideas. I can't wait to see her first line of "E" Design wear!! the colors will be the best!!!
I can't wait to hear about emma's New York expierience on her blog.
Have a great Thanksgiving!
Aunt Kathy